Size: 22 7/8 x 30 7/8 in./58 x 78.5 cm
Condition: A. Framed.
The original Bal Bullier (see Chéret's version, PAI-XXII, 280)—also known as the Closerie des Lilas—was constructed by Bullier on the grounds of an old convent at the corner where the Blvd. Port-Royal crosses the Ave. de l'Observatoire. A new owner transformed the gardens, planting clumps of trees and lilacs and building a room inspired by the Moorish architecture of the Alhambra. Posters show it in operation at least through the winter of 1894-95. This enchanting image, however, is for the later Bullier-Nouveau. Whether "new" refers here to a simple renovation, yet another owner, or a change in address, the design is filled with movement and high spirits that make us want to join the fun.